The Ravenel Depot is located on Highway 165 in Ravenel SC. St. Paul’s garden club created a garden in front of the old depot. The garden celebrates the “Champney Rose”
The Champney rose was the first hybridized rose in America. On a plantation close by the Depot, John Champney worked with roses and developed in 1802, a pink cluster rose that thrived in our hot and humid temperatures.
To honor this historic event, the garden club built a garden with 4 rose plants from the old plantation site, and dedicated in 2009. The club maintains this garden as one of our ongoing projects.